Literature and Languages
Professor Claire Squires
- Associate Editor for Twentieth Century Britain, in Michael Suarez and Henry Woudhuysen, general eds. The Oxford Companion to the Book (Oxford: OUP, 2010).
- Marketing Literature: The Making of Contemporary Writing in Britain (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007).
- Philip Pullman, Master Storyteller : A Guide to the Worlds of His Dark Materials (London: Continuum, 2006).
- Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials Trilogy: A Reader’s Guide (London: Continuum, 2003).
- Zadie Smith’s White Teeth: A Reader’s Guide (London: Continuum, 2002).
- ‘The Book in Britain 1914-present’ in Michael Suarez and Henry Woudhuysen, general eds., Oxford Companion to the Book (Oxford: OUP, 2010).
- ‘Marketing at the Millennium’ in Janet Maybin and Nicola J Watson, eds., Children's Literature: Approaches and Territories (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009).
- ‘How to Judge a Book by its Cover: Swallows and Amazons’, Financial Times, 15/16 November 2008.
- ‘Ghostwriting’ and ‘Marketing Fiction’ in Giles Clark and Angus Phillips, Inside Book Publishing (Abingdon: Routledge, 2008), 4th edn..
- ‘The Global Market 1970-2000: Consumers’ in Simon Eliot and Jonathan Rose, eds., A Companion to the History of the Book (Oxford: Blackwell, 2007).
- ‘Living Happily Ever After’, Publishing News London Book Fair Daily, 15 April 2008.
- ‘Literary Prizes, Literary Categories and Children’s Literature in the 1990s-2000s’ in Vanessa Guignery and François Gallix, eds., Pre- and post-publication itineraries of the contemporary novel in English (Paris: Éditions Publibook Université, 2007).
- ‘Judging on a Cover: Book Marketing and The Booker Prize’ in Nicole Matthews and Nickianne Moody, eds., Judging a Book by its Cover: Fans, Publishers, Designers and the Marketing of Books (London: Ashgate, 2007).
- ‘Novelistic Production and the Publishing Industry’ in Brian Shaffer, ed., A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945-2000 (Oxford: Blackwell, 2004).
- ‘A Common Ground? Book Prize Culture in Europe’ in Javnost The Public 2004 11:4.
- ‘Zadie Smith’s White Teeth: Happy Multicultural Land?’, in E Magazine, December 2002.
- ‘Toby Litt’, for Michael R Molino, ed., Dictionary of Literary Biography: Twenty-First Century British and Irish Novelists (Detroit: The Gale Group, 2002).
- ‘A Guide to Literary Prizes’, Edinburgh Review, Issue 103, 2000.
- Contributor (15 entries) to The Cambridge Guide to Women’s Writing in English, Lorna Sage, ed., (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999).
- ‘Trainspotting and Publishing, or Converting the Smack into Hard Cash’, Edinburgh Review, Issue 101, 1999.
- Volume Editor for the Cambridge History of the Book in Britain Volume 7 1914-2000 (Cambridge: CUP), with Andrew Nash and Ian Willison (in preparation).